This Page

has been moved to new address

12 Days of Christmas - Day 4

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Freshly Brewed Life: 12 Days of Christmas - Day 4

Saturday, December 4, 2010

12 Days of Christmas - Day 4


button


 Day 4 - Christmas Memories

Growing up, I remember the anticipation me and my four brothers and sisters had as it got closer to Christmas.  Our house was filled with the smells and flavors of Christmas.  I loved helping my mother make cookies and decorating them.  Although my parents couldn't afford elaborate gifts, there were always lots of simple presents under the tree.  I will never forget the year that I received my first electric raiser.  It was purple and white with butterflies.  I was so embarased.  Now my brothers would know that I shaved.  The year my sister and I both received baby dolls and buggy strollers was another favorite.  I have fond memories of taking our babies for walks around the neighborhood. 

I will never forget the year that I caught "Santa" taking all of the presents which were hidden in my parents' bedroom to the living room to be placed under the tree. At that time Santa and I had a talk about all of the Santa business, and my parents then allowed me to help display the gifts under the tree, as long as I kept this secret to myself and didn't tell my brothers and sisters.  

We always had a house full, with extended family coming to visit. I loved spending time with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  I remember we would sit around and sing Christmas carols until we couldn't remember any more.  

One of the fondest Christmas memories that I have is the year my husband asked me to marry him on Christmas Eve.  We had only known each other for 3 months -- yes, 3 months -- but we knew that we loved each other and believed Christ had brought us together. But I wasn't expecting an engagement so soon.  My husband asked me to come over to his apartment so that we could exchange gifts.  I walked into a dimly lit apartment, there were long stem roses in the Christmas tree, soft music in the background.  Still I did not expect.  After my husband opened his gifts, he presented me with a very large and adorable teddy bear and a card.  The card was beautiful and at the end he wrote how much he loved me and asked me to marry him.  I started crying.  But still, I took this to mean sometime in the future. It took me a while to notice that the teddy bear was holding the ring box in his paws.  I was thrilled. Eight months later we were married. Still today on Christmas eve I celebrate that moment 22 years ago when we committed to be together forever!

I can't wait to read about your memories.  Link up with Cait at The Blessed Life

Labels: ,