This Page

has been moved to new address

Planting Chums - Week 2 - Fun Games

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Freshly Brewed Life: Planting Chums - Week 2 - Fun Games

Friday, April 16, 2010

Planting Chums - Week 2 - Fun Games

4 - Four Fridays of CONNECTIONS (forging friendships)
Today I am joining in Planting Chums - Four Weeks of Fab Favorites (complete with some awesome giveaways) over at Hannah's blog.  This week's topic is fun games. I hate to admit I am not much into games these days.  I do enjoy a competitive game of Candy Land and Tic Tac Toe with my 6 year old though.  As a child I did enjoy Monopoly, Life and Operation (is that a board game).  But some of my most memorable games were these:
I Loved playing Jacks.  I tried to get my kids interested, but it didn't work!

We would have chalk marks all over the street playing Hopscotch.  
Very simple, but fun.

My all time favorite though was a game of:
KICK THE CAN!


Here is some great info I found about Kick the Can:


While many childhood games have fallen out of favor for more politically correct modern versions where everyone's a winner, kick the can deserves to be placed in the game hall of fame. It deserves a comeback, not only among children, but adults as well.
The secret to classic games lies in the simplicity of rules. Kick the can is no different and the rules are easy, a hybrid combination of tag and hide-and-go-seek.
First, take a can and place it in an open area. This is "home base." Put rocks or marbles in it to make a nice hollow peal when someone kicks it. Second, select a person to be "it." "It" counts to 50, or some other predetermined number, and everyone else goes and hides. When time is up, "it" seeks those in hiding. When "it" finds somebody, he or she calls their name and races back to the can. If "it" reaches the can before the hidden person does then the person goes into "prison."
Here's where it gets tricky. Once somebody is in prison, any uncaptured player can make an attempt to kick the can. If they make it, then anyone in prison gets to escape and hide again. "It" must retrieve the can and put it back in it's original location before they can go hunting again. If "it" reaches the can before the uncaptured player does, they can call out their name and they become captured.
Once everybody is in jail, the first person to be put in jail becomes "it."
We would literally be outside for hours on a summer night with the entire neighborhood of children playing this game.  I do have to admit though, I hardly won.  The boys could just run faster! Okay, the secret is out.  If you didn't already know about how old I was, you do now!

Be sure to stop over to Hannah's blog to join in the fun of Planting Chums!

Labels: