This Page

has been moved to new address

Counting My Gifts

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Freshly Brewed Life: Counting My Gifts

Monday, February 28, 2011

Counting My Gifts


A few weeks ago, I received Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, in the mail. It is changing my life.  I am realizing that I am not truly living each day to the fullest.  Every day is a new gift to me from the Lord, and each day is full of promise; yet in the mundaneness that has become my life, I forget to stop and notice how abundantly blessed I am.  The most extraordinary gifts lie in the ordinary.  They lie in the simplicity of life.  They lie, buried beneath loads of unfinished laundry.  They are in the not all put together parts of my life.  I am surrounded by them.  And yet, they often go unnoticed. 

I have been blessed and encouraged by reading the lists that others are making of their 1,000 gifts of love and grace.  I've been afraid to take the dare, to live life fully right where I am.  My life is not perfect.  It can be messy.  I get mad at my kids.  I can't keep my house clean.  Yet, even on those days, there are gifts waiting to be revealed.  I want to learn to slow down so that I can see what God has so graciously put right in front of me.  Yet, They will only be found if my eyes are wide open to receive them.

So, here I am, beginning the journey of writing down my 1,000 gifts of love and grace, those that God has already blessed me with.  My prayer is that the Lord would open my eyes that I might see them.

My gifts today:
  1. The deep sighs of my children as they lie sleeping.
  2. The quietness of the night. It's so peaceful when it's just me and Him.
  3. The truck my husband was loaned this week, for as long as he needs it.
  4. Healthy children.
  5. The smell of a freshly washed load of laundry.
  6. A husband who constantly calls out the gold in me.
  7. My friends who run along side of me, and often fall behind so they can push me.
  8. The hum of my computer.  It works. And I am thankful.
  9. Dinners at my parents and for money saved.
  10. That in my lack, He is sufficient.
It's not too late for you to begin your journey of writing down your 1,000 gifts.  Do you dare to allow God to open your eyes to the beauty that surrounds you?


Labels: , ,